Review: Cinder

12:11:00 AM


Title: Cinder (Lunar Chronicles #1)
Author: Marissa Meyer
Pages: 390 pages
Format acquired: Paperback
Publisher: Square Fish
Published date: January 8, 2013
Source: Bought from Fully Booked
Amazon / Barnes and Noble / Goodreads


Summary:

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

  

Review: 

Among all the Disney princesses, Cinderella is my favorite. And I’ve watched all movies and TV shows that was based on Cinderella so it’s no surprise that Cinder caught my attention. Though I have my doubts about the cyborg part at first, I could proudly say that I have no regrets reading this book.

Honestly, I’m having a hard time typing up this review. Not because I loathe it and doesn’t want to waste my time on it but because I’m at lost for words as to how to express the brilliancy of Marissa Meyer for writing such a splendid book. Cinder is a jaw dropping, arm flailing, heart jumping and all words that are synonymous for awesome book. Every single thing in this book is purr-feeect! From the astounding characters, plot twists, world building and well-expressed lines and scenes. There is no time where I got bored while reading this book. Cinder got me hooked starting from the very first page until the acknowledgement (I love how Marissa wrote her acknowledgement!)

If there’s an award for the coolest protagonist then I’m so sure that it’ll be awarded to Cinder. She amazingly played the protagonist role very well. And I commend Marissa Meyer for writing Cinder that way. So far, Cinder’s my second favorite protagonist (Cammie in Gallagher Girls series being the first one).

Prince Kai is my new additional book boyfriend. He’s sweet, funny, compassionate, selfless, caring, humble and agonizingly handsome. In short, he’s everything I’m looking for a boyfriend. If only he’s real … *long sigh* The only thing that kind of turn me off is the words he said to Cinder at the last part of the book. I got pissed at him at that part. :| Though I understand why he said those words, still, he should have waited for an explanation from Cinder before he walked out.

The romance in this book is surprisingly refreshing. Why refreshing? Well, for starters, it’s not an insta-love (thank God for that!) and it does not consist of heavy make out scenes between the main characters. Whenever I read a scene of Prince Kai and Cinder, I’d get the feeling of puppy love. Their attraction to each other is so … innocent. I really can’t think of a better word than that. Unlike some pairings in some YA books, Prince Kai and Cinder didn’t kiss until the last few chapters in the book. And to think that they only kissed once. You still can feel their chemistry oozing despite their lack of intimate scenes.

As for the hateful antagonist part, well, Queen Ugly Levana snagged that spot. She is the most hateful antagonist that I’ve encountered. Reading scenes that has her on it, made me wish that she’s real so that I could choke her to death or punch her in her ugly face. Seriously, the Queen brings out the violent side of me. There’s this one scene in this book where Cinder said out loud that Queen Levana is really ugly. That seriously had me laughing so loud. :D I’d like to see the face of the Queen when Cinder told her that. LOL.

Overall, Cinder would have you swooning, laughing, cringing, crying, shouting, giggling and flailing. In other words, this book would make you feel all kinds of feels in just one sitting (finished it in a day)! You have to read it as soon as you’re able to. It’s the kind of book that you should put on top of your TBR stack. What are you staring for at? Go buy Cinder if you still don’t have it on your stack or go pick it if you already have it. Chop! Chop!

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Awesome review! My sentiments exactly on Queen Levana. She gives me the creeps! I loved Cinder, but haven't managed to read the sequel Scarlet yet.

    Thanks for checking out my blog, by the way! (:

    Sherlyn @ Mermaid WIth A Book

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't agree more with the things you've mentioned! Such a wonderful book! :)

    Kyle @ The Selkie Reads Stories

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your review. I have the book and I'm through the first part, but I put it on hold since I just couldn't get into it. Your review makes me want to pick it up again though. It's not that I didn't like it, it was just a slow build and I enjoy very few sci-fi books. I like that you didn't find the romance typical but rather refreshing. I kinda miss Kai. I think he was cute ;-) I hope that when I finish this someday, I'll be a fan-girl as well ;-) Thanks for sharing!

    Siiri @ Little Pieces of Imagination

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got a copy of this book this June but I haven't gotten into it! Must read it soon as everyone's raving about it. Thanks for the awesome review! :D

    ReplyDelete