Review: City of Bones

7:05:00 PM



Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: The Mortal Instruments #1
Published: April 14, 2009
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
485 pages (paperback)



Summary:

 When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. .




Review:

 It took me awhile to start reading this book since I kept on getting distracted with other books and I've been quite busy with life but when I do finished reading this, to say that I'm disappointed would be an understatement. Everyone's been fussing about this book series and I've been reading and hearing a lot of good feedback regarding with this book so I expected something jaw-dropping from it.

The problem with this book was the pacing of the story. Though it improved when I got to the middle part but it still felt dragging. It also didn't escape to me the similarities of some of the characters in this book from the characters of Harry Potter. And since I'm already talking about the characters, I would like to express my thoughts about Jace. Well, Jace is a swoon worthy guy (that's unquestionable). He has this certain I'm-hot-and-I-know-it aura around him which of course, lured me and made fall in love with his character (mysterious guys are my weakness and he also resemble Draco Malfoy from Harry Potter). But there are times when I just wanna punch his face (of course, I wouldn't do that since it might ruin his handsome face) for being so mean. Geez. The guy is an ass. And oh, let's just not forget about Clary--that annoying girl who keeps on annoying the hell out of me. I just don't like her character...period.

The storyline, while it's creative, it also is predictable. I guessed most of the twist in the story since Cassandra Clare isn't that subtle about it or maybe it's just my sixth sense that's working. Still, I salute the author for trying to create a unique world into this book. This would be my first time to read a book where all supernatural beings exist (werewolves, witch, warlocks, vampires, demons, angels)


You Might Also Like

0 comments