Review: White Cat

5:34:00 PM




Author: Holly Black
Series: Curse Workers #1
Published: February 18, 2011
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
310 pages (Paperback)



Summary:

Cassel comes from a family of Curse Workers - people who have the power to change your emotions, your memories, your luck, by the slightest touch of their hands. And since curse work is illegal, they're all criminals. Many become mobsters and con artists. But not Cassel. He hasn't got magic, so he's an outsider, the straight kid in a crooked family. You just have to ignore one small detail - he killed his best friend, Lila, three years ago.

Cassel has carefully built up a facade of normalcy, blending into the crowd. But his facade starts to crumble when he finds himself sleepwalking, propelled into the night by terrifying dreams about a white cat that wants to tell him something. He's noticing other disturbing things too, including the strange behavior of his two brothers. They are keeping secrets from him. As Cassel begins to suspect he's part of a huge con game, he must unravel his past and his memories. To find out the truth, Cassel will have to out-con the conmen
.



Review:

Lately, all I’ve been reading are so-so books and it quite frustrates me that this book will be added on that ever growing list. Knowing that this book was recommended to me by one of my favorite authors, it saddens me that I didn’t end up loving it like she does.

The book is set in a world where curse workers exists and is in the POV of Cassel—the protagonist in the story. It was my first time reading a book where the POV is from a guy. So it was really nice to have a time out from all those books which if not from a damsel-in-distress then from a whiny and irksome teenagers’ POV.

Judging from the summary of this book, I expected a lot of action and fighting but the only fighting (I wouldn’t really call it a fight) I encountered within this book was from the near end part of the book. White Cat didn’t invoke a lot of emotions from me, scratch that, it didn’t really arouse any emotions from me. Nothing, zero, zilch. My face was just like this (-_____-) the whole time.

I had to admit that it took my brain quite a while to process all the information in the book. I also didn’t have an instant connection to the characters. White Cat started off as this mysterious, intriguing and mind boggling book which later end up as a monotonous book for me. The plot of the book was good and it has a lot of potentials turning into an awesome book but it seems to me that the author didn’t use those potentials sensibly.

Though I didn’t like this book, I also didn’t hate it. It was okay. There’s nothing special from it aside from the POV coming from a guy. But there’s always room for improvement and since this is only the first book in a series, I’ll give this book the benefit of the doubt. Nonetheless, I still recommend this book to you guys, who knows, you might end up loving it.


You Might Also Like

0 comments